Sunday, March 27

The End, Finally (Homemade Samoas)

Well, folks, we did it.  My classmates and I are officially nurses!!  Last Saturday was our exit exam, and I passed with flying colors (not to brag, haha).  It was a crazy, wild ride, and while I can't honestly say that I enjoyed every second of it, I'm definitely grateful for the experience.  

So now that insanity is over, I'm recovering from a year of no sleep and mucho stress.  This past week has been blissfully relaxing.  I should start working in May, once I take the boards and get my license, but until then I have a few things going on that I'll share over the next few weeks.  I have some new ideas on where to take the blog, and I hope that my readers (all three of you, haha) will be excited.  More about that later.  On to the main event!



In celebration of our accomplishments, Hubby and I hosted ACE-a-palooza last week.  So many people were here, and we had soooo much food (thanks mostly to everyone else).  It was a great time, and everyone had a blast.  I made the Cinnamon Yum Yums, of course, but I also wanted to try something new.  A few weeks ago, I simultaneously discovered Nutmeg Nanny and her Samoa Bars.  I was in love.  (Check out the blog, she has some yummy stuff over there!)  I don't usually like to repost recipes so close to their original posting, but I had just polished off the rest of my girl scout cookies (both bought and homemade) and I felt a deep seated need for these cookies.  I had to have them.  Stat!

We weren't disappointed. The bars are the perfect combination of caramel coconutty-ness that can satisfy those Samoa cravings.  Try them soon - they're so easy!


Samoa Bars 
(from the delectable Nutmeg Nanny)
Cookie:
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Topping:
3 cups shredded coconut
12 oz chewy caramels (I used Werther's Original)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoon milk
6 oz semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 and line a 9x13" baking pan with parchment paper (or cooking spray). Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.  Add the egg and vanilla, mixing until thoroughly combined.  At low speed, add in the flour and salt until combined and crumbly (dough might not stick together - never fear).  Press the dough into an even layer on the bottom of the pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned.  While the base is cooling, line a baking sheet with parchment or silpat and spread out the coconut.  Turn the oven down to 300 and toast the coconut, stirring a few times, for 20 minutes or until most of the coconut is browned.  In a small saucepan, melt together the caramels, milk and salt.  When completely melted and liquidy, stir in the coconut.  Spread over the cooled cookie base and allow to set.  Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave or over the stovetop and drizzle onto the bars.  Allow the chocolate to set for at least 30-45 minutes before cutting.  (The original recipe called for dipping the bottoms in chocolate as well, but I ran out of time.)

3 comments:

  1. Love Samoas - these look so good Diana! Congrats on finishing school and passing your exam, what a huge accomplishment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Diana! The sense of achievement must be wonderful after a period of hard work.
    Totally agree that the delicious Samoa Bars are great for this celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an awesome blog! I can`t wait to see your future posts! :)

    have a great time,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Now it's your turn to share...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...