Sunday, October 16

Fridge Fun (Apple Crumble Mini Pies)

I was in the mood to bake the other day.  I was NOT in the mood to go to the grocery store.  

One of my New Years resolutions this year was to waste less, especially where food was concerned.  I try really hard to use up everything I buy, but sometimes I open the crisper to find a wilted crown of broccoli or move the eggs and discover a bag of grapes has turned into raisins.  This has happened more now that my belly stops me from bending completely over.

So on this day, I made two serendipitous discoveries in the fridge - a single pie crust and a bag of apples that were too soft to bite into (we're picky about our apples in my house) but hadn't started to bruise yet.  Apple pie, anyone?

And how about little mini-pies?  With crumbly cinnamon topping?  Served warm with ice cream?  This dream needed to become a reality.

These little mini pies are SO easy to make; they took me about 15 minutes to assemble, plus another 25 in the oven.  Easy and delicious!   Perfect with some ice cream as an after work treat or warmed up in a bowl for a yummy breakfast on a cool autumn morning.  

Either way, sooo much better than a trip to the grocery store.  :-)


Apple Crumble Mini Pies
(from me!)
1 refrigerated pie crust (or make your own, if you have patience and ambition)
4 small-medium apples, peeled and sliced into small pieces.
1 cup flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup butter, softened
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Time & Temperature:  350 degrees for 25-30 minutes

Grease a cupcake pan.  Using a 1 cup sized measuring cup, large drinking glass or biscuit/cookie cutter, cut the pie crust into 4 inch circles.  You may have to re-roll the scraps after the first round of cutting; be sure to handle the dough as little as possible.  I was able to get 11 circles out of 1 pie crust.  Place each circle into a well on the cupcake pan.  Fill each crust with a generous 1/3 cup of apple pieces.  In a medium mixing bowl, using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut together the remaining ingredients.  Divide among the pies and sprinkle on top.  Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, until the crumble is golden brown.  Cool on a wire rack before removing; serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Now it's your turn to share...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...