Friday, September 10

Compromise (Forever Krispie Treats)

They say the key to every marriage is compromise.   When Hubby and I were getting ready to tie the knot, a big piece of me was afraid we would become those people with a "marriage".  Marriage sounded like something you had on your mantle that needed weeded and watered and dusted and sacrificed for.  That sounded like work.  I didn't want that kind of work. I just wanted to stand up in front of everyone I cared about and declare that I loved this man, that he was the one for me, and then get on living our lives together.  We had been together for several years and had worked past the newlywed "living together" things - his socks on the floor, my neurotic issues about eating together.  What more could there be to learn?  Getting married just makes it official, right?

Yeah, sure, because I know everything.


Actually, as it turns out, being married does change things.  It means that what used to be two people, half me and half him, is now 100% me and him.  It means that everything I do is now for us - becoming a nurse, changing the sheets on the bed, learning to cook, even shaving my legs.  It means that my new last name on my driver's license announces to the world that I'm part of something bigger than just myself.  It means that my mantle now holds this thing that needs weeded and watered and dusted and sacrificed for.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Marriage also means that when we're walking through the grocery store deciding what yummy treat we want that week, and he wants rice krispie treats and I want chocolate cookies, we have learned to compromise.


Forever Krispie Treats
7 cups rice krispie cereal
1 bag (10 oz) large marshmallows
3 tablespoons butter
8 oz chocolate chips
4 oz peanut butter chips
25 Werther's Original chewy caramels
8 mini-Twix bars,

In a large pot over medium-low heat, melt the butter.  Add in the marshmallows and melt, stirring occasionally.  Stir in the cereal.  (Note:  I know the original recipe calls for 6 cups, but I like my treats crispy, as opposed to mallowy.  I always hated it when the room mother brought in the mallowy treats, with the marshmallows barely melted and studded with five little pieces of krispie.  You can adjust the ratio however you like.)   Pour the mixture into two 8x8 glass pans and pat down flat.  

While they settle, melt the caramels (I did this in the microwave for 30 seconds, then stir, then 30 seconds, etc) until completely melted.  Pour over one of the pans. Coarsely chop 7 of the Twix bars.  Eat the remaining one. Spread the candy over the caramel.  On the other pan, spread 1/3 of the peanut butter chips over the treats.  Melt the chocolate chips (over a double boiler or in the microwave) and pour over both pans (half and half).  Sprinkle the remaining peanut butter chips over the peanut butter treats.  Allow to set, about 2-3 hours.  Store covered.  Share with someone you adore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Now it's your turn to share...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...