Sunday, September 12

Cooking for Canines: Peanut Butter & Banana Biscuits

First things's first:  Here we go, Steelers, here we go!!  1-0 baby!!!

Ok, now that we've taken care of that.

Food for thought: what does your pup eat?

Last week, on Layla's birthday, we got her some treats from Jake's Dog House.  For as much as they cost, they weren't as great as I thought they would be.  The cupcake was hard and dry, and though I didn't taste it, it didn't smell particularly exciting.  We also got her a doggie doughnut, but it was so hard I couldn't even break it with my hands.  I decided that we should take the same approach with her as we do with ourselves - isn't homemade food better than processed chemicals?  And since we love Layla as part of our family, so shouldn't we have the same philosophy when feeding her?

What are you making for me, Mom?

I've been looking for some recipes for homemade dog treats, and today was my first foray into homemade doggie noms.  I'm going to be doing more experimenting and trying new things for Layla, so I'll post the results from time to time for other people who want a more wholesome approach to feeding their own pupsters.

Today's treat is very easy to make, and actually tastes pretty good from a human standpoint (oh yeah, I went there).  You can get creative with the recipe; I cited the original from allrecipes, and you can see in the comments about how some people have made their own substitutions.

I think she gives them two paws up.

Layla's Peanut Butter and Banana Biscuits
(from Allrecipes.com)
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 medium banana, mashed or pureed
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 egg white

In a medium bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, egg and banana.  Stir in the flour and the wheat germ until you have a thick dough.  On a lightly floured surface, roll out into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick.  Cut into strips, roll into a rope and tie a knot in each end.  


Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet, brush with the egg white and bake at 300 for 30 minutes.  Cool on a wire rack.  Share with your furever buddy.

Not too shabby, Shaggy. 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, I so can't wait to make these for my favorite little furman. He will think he has gone to doggie heaven.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Now it's your turn to share...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...