Tuesday, November 30

Going bananas (Banana Overnight French Toast)


Finals are next week.  In five days.  I should be studying drugs for multiple sclerosis and interventions for children with cardiac defects.   Or reviewing the evaluations I have to turn into my clinical professor tomorrow.  Or looking at community health powerpoint packets.

But to tell the truth, I'm a little burnt out at this point.  Today was the last day of classes for the quarter.  We have three more clinical days this week, then a weekend (which was supposed to be my birthday weekend!), then the grueling exam schedule.  Eight exams, four days.  Who thinks up this torture?!


Honestly, this is the most intensive (shortest duration) nursing program in the country.  There are several programs across the country for second degree students who are making a career change or decided to pursue a BS in Nursing.  Most of them take 18 months to 2 years.  This one gets it done in 11 months.  Eleven months.  That's little more time than it takes to have a baby.  Suffice it to say, it gets a little intense.  I keep thinking about what it's going to be like to have a job that I can clock out of every day, come home and do NOTHING if I want.  No studying, no textbook reading, no making flashcards I'll never look at.  No writing papers or posting to online discussion boards.  Just a nice evening in front of the TV (or in the pool at the gym, if I'm a good girl).  Not a care in the world....

I'm holding on to that dream.  Me and my dream of doing nothing.  (Name that movie!!)


This dish, however, is not nothing.  This is definitely something.  Something delicious.  Something wonderful.  Something I am so thankful that Rebecca over at Ezra Pound Cake shared this with the world a few weeks ago.  I made it the night before Thankful Thursday and popped it in the oven when I woke up.  The whole family loved it, and it was even good reheated the next day.  Anytime you have an extra 15 minutes before bed and want a yummy treat in the morning, this is it!!

Banana Overnight French Toast
(adapted ever so slightly from Ezra Pound Cake)

I added fruit to this recipe, plus substituted half of the whole eggs for egg whites, which I had leftover from other things I was making.

4 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 small bananas
1 loaf thick cut bread (I used cinnamon bread from Wegman's)
4 eggs + 4 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 cup 1% milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
pinch of salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Banana bo bana fee fi fo fana...

Melt the butter a small bowl in the microwave; stir in the brown sugar.  Spread this mixture on the bottom of a 9"x13" glass baking dish.  Slice the bananas over the sugar mixture.  Layer the bread slices over the bananas, 5 or 6 on each side (they'll probably overlap).  In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, egg whites, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla and salt.  Pour this over the bread.  Sprinkle the pecans on top.  Refrigerate the casserole, covered, overnight.  In the morning, remove the dish from the refrigerator and preheat the oven to 350.  Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the edges are brown.  

You really won't need syrup, but if you're into hyperglycemia, go ahead and pour it on.  :o)

2 comments:

  1. You poor thing feeling a little burnt out. I hope you will do well for your exams. I'm sure your delicious French toast will make you feel more relaxed :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummm... this sounds awesome. Good luck on your exams! Sounds like a pretty intense program.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Now it's your turn to share...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...