Wednesday, June 16

Turtles and Muffins (Strawberry Colada Muffins)

(Like the new look? I got creative today!)

So cute when they're little!

Hubby and I had a day off together yesterday, and we spent it at the shore. We found this little guy on the sand down by the water. Adorably awesome! I wanted to keep him, by Bob made me send him back to the sea...

Inspired by the turtle, I found my recipe for caramel-chocolate-pecan brownies, and I was all set to make turtles for turtles, but honestly...it's hot. It's not the kind of weather for 15 pound, buttery brownies. So I was instead inspired by the sand and the surf (OK, so we live in New Jersey, and the surf isn't like "surf", but well, ya know...) and I felt that we needed something tropical to nom on. Luckily, on the same page in my big blue binder o' recipes, was a muffin recipe. I pulled out my trusty glass bowl, grabbed the coconut from the top shelf of the cabinet and - voila - strawberry colada muffins!




Strawberry Colada Muffins
(This recipe makes the BEST muffins I've ever had, soft and moist and delicious, so sometimes I use it for other kinds of muffins. I used my new jumbo muffin pan and made 6, but you can easily use the standard 12 cup pan and have a dozen.)

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
strawberry jam
1/4 cup coconut
1 tbsp flour
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp vegetable oil


Combine coconut, 1 tbsp flour, brown sugar and 1 tbsp oil in a small bowl until thoroughly mixed; set aside. Sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. In a separate bowl, combine egg, milk and oil, add at once to dry ingredients and stir only until dry ingredients are moist. Spoon into muffin cups to 1/3 full. Drop 1 tsp-1tbsp jam into the center, cover and seal with remaining batter until 2/3 full. Top with 1 tbsp of the coconut mixture, pat down into the batter. Bake at 375 for 16-20 minutes.

Nom nom nom! :-)

2 comments:

Thanks for reading! Now it's your turn to share...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...