Thursday, October 7

Anticipation (Hot Cross Apple Buns)

Anticipation.  That's about probably the best word to describe my day.  The gang and I are going to San Francisco this weekend.  Wait - let's rephrase that.  At this moment, my husband and all my local friends are in San Francisco or on a plane there.  I am at home.  I have one more day of clinical before I can hop on my own flight and spend the glorious three day weekend on the other coast, drinking California drinks and doing California type things.  Oh, and going to the Eagles football game.  (That's why they're all going - I'm going because I love San Francisco and I have an innate fear that if I miss out on group fun I'll turn into a pumpkin.)


This arrangement was OK with me, until this morning when my instructor canceled today's clinical.  Now I'm stuck doing some 22 page crap assignment and counting down the hours until tomorrow.  Tomorrow I'll go to the "Disaster Simulation" training at school (which is probably just 6 hours of trying to keep Sim Man alive while people laugh at our nursing student ineptitude) and count down the hours until my weekend starts. It didn't help that my father in law showed up 24 hours early to take me to the airport.

Maybe that's not totally fair - I did get to catch up on some things like I'm happy to accomplish before I leave.  And I took Layla on a long walk to make up for leaving her here with my sister while we're off having fun.  However, when your loved ones call you from a bar across the water from Alcatraz, and you're stuck inside on a beautiful fall day writing a pretend care plan for a made up pediatric cardiac patient, what's a girl to do?


Turn on the oven, of course.

Let's call it a "thank you" present for my sister.  After all, she has graciously agreed to give up her weekend of living it up to stay here with the pup.  I think that deserves some Hot Cross Apple Buns.


Let's hope she does, too!

Hot Cross Apple Buns
(adapted from The Pampered Chef)
2 large granny smith apples (or whichever kind you prefer), peeled, cored and chopped
1/4 cup pecans
1/4 cup raisins
1-1/2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 package refrigerator biscuits (or you can make your own)
1 tablespoon butter, melted
Oven:  350 degrees

Mix the apples, pecans, raisins, flour, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl.  Microwave for 2.5 minutes or until hot.  Grease eight muffin tins with butter or cooking spray.  Mix the remaining sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.  Melt the butter into another small bowl.  Roll out the biscuits into 5 inch circles.  Place 1/3 cup of the apple mixture into the center, then gather the edges and pinch together.  


Holding the pinched edges, dip the top into the melted butter, then into the cinnamon-sugar.  Place butter/cinnamon sugar side up into a muffin tin.  With a serrated knife, lightly cut an X into the top of each biscuit.  Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.  Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove and finish cooling on a wire rack.


Turn off the oven and go to San Francisco!

2 comments:

  1. If they would survive the voyage I would definitely send you some! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Now it's your turn to share...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...